Some key points:
- Everything is built on services (UI is built on services also, there no integration of components on the database-level like in R/3 but on the service-level)
- SAP will not allow to run custom code in the hosted environment, but customers can run code on their own site, e.g. compose new applications based on the hosted services
- AJAX-functionality is not included in the UI for BBD at the moment, but it will come
- The basic foundation for BBD is ABAP (Objects), having “one implementation for each function”. The layers above are done with Java, based on (and partially automatically generated from) models.
- “Customizing” is done with a configurator, with a “question and answer and constraint engine”, not on the level of process models
- Linux is used as operating system for the hosted environment, and SAP’s own MaxDB as database